Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting Older Makes You Grateful

This thought crossed my mind last week while laying in bed trying not to cough and wake Jacob up. I was furiously sucking on cough drops in an attempt to stifle the coughs that wouldn't go away, no matter what I did. We were visiting family for Christmas so Jacob was sleeping in our room, right next to us. I'm so grateful we put him in his own bed from the first night home. Hearing his every whimper and movement is not ideal.

But, I was laying there thinking about all the gifts our family had gotten. Christmas is big in our family. But I think for the first time, Christmas was more about what we were doing and not what we got. I am so thankful for the gifts: after having kept my Christmas budget under control, I'm so thankful for those that spent their hard earned money on things for me. It made me think twice about the things I "wish" for. 

I had gotten word that one of my siblings said that all he got for Christmas was "stupid clothes." It was a good thing I was 4 hours away because I immediately wanted to pound him. How could he be so ungrateful? Kids everywhere would have done a lot for those "stupid clothes." We also had to delay our travel home because of bad weather. I was heartbroken because I wanted so badly to be with my family. 

After really thinking about it all and praying about it all, I came to this conclusion. Christmas will be what you make it. If it's all about the gifts, disappointment can be sure to be found somewhere. We aren't perfect gift givers, after all. I want to make it a priority to raise Jacob to be grateful. I want to make it a priority to make the Christmas season about Christ and the perfect gift He was to the world that so desperately needed him, that still desperately needs Him, today. Sure, I'll still make my Amazon wish list every year; there is nothing wrong with giving and getting gifts. It's one of my favorite things to do, actually! It will not, however, be the focus. The focus will be Christ, gathering my family around me, even if it means multiple trips across town or across the state, and spending time with the ones I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment