Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Selling Our House : Day 1

Our house went on the MLS listing service yesterday morning. We still had a lot of things to do to get it ready to show but we're hopeful that we could get it done by Thursday. That project list includes:

  • We've got a few more things to haul off- dog house to my Mom, chairs to my in-laws, and old fence to the dump.
  • We've got to the garage cleaned out.
  • We've got to touch up paint in Jacob's room, our room, the living room, the bathroom and kitchen.
  • We need to get a kick plate for the bottom of Jacob's door.
  • The Hall closet needs cleaned out
  • The bathroom needs recaulked (and I stink at it!), the sink stopper needs fixing, and the toilet runs. Oh, and the lightbulbs need to be the kind that match when they're exposed.
  • The sunroom needs to be packed up. Lots of unnecessary things in there.
  • The hot water needs fixing in the kitchen and some holes patched up.
We signed the papers Monday and our realtor said he'd be by on Tuesday to put up the lock box and put the sign in the yard. Imagine my surprise when I got a call that an agent wanted to show our house at 3. It was 1:30. I was leaving in 10 minutes to go get Jim from work so he could watch Jacob so I could teach my dance class.

I called Jim to see if he was up for the list of things that had to be done before the house could be shown. Not only did we have all of the above projects, but the house was "lived in" a mess. Dishes needed to be done, I was washing bed linens, I think Jacob had played with EVERY toy in his room, and I needed to sweep. 

I did everything I could and headed to get Jim. My thinking was that I'd come in for as long as I could to help get things ready. We drove up in our driveway, and Jim said, "so you want to get Jacob out for like 5 minutes and then put him back in his car seat?" Yeah, that didn't make much sense. We drove to church (about 5 minutes away) to drop me off for dance class and I realized that I had planned on going in and so I hadn't brought ANY of my dance stuff. Back to the house, I ran in and got my stuff, and went back to church. That was 2:10. Poor Jim had been having a rough day at work and I totally unloaded a list of things to get done in less than an hour and he had to do it all while watching Jacob.

2:20 comes and no one is at dance class. I ran up to the office to see if there were any notes or anything for me. I stayed until 2:30 and texted the girls' moms. Turns out that due to a fever and car trouble, no one was coming. So, I sat and talked to a friend while Jim slaved away at home. He showed up at 3 with the dogs, Jacob, a laundry basket of dirty dishes and another laundry basket of clutter that we don't really have a place for. 

We stayed gone for an hour. I came back and dropped the dogs off, went to get the kids from school. While I was at my evening dance class, Jim texted me and said that the people wanted to COME BACK AND SEE THE HOUSE AGAIN THAT NIGHT.

They ended up not coming back, but will be back, hopefully! They needed to get some things lined up before coming back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment