Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review :: Loving the Little Years

One of my goals for the first part of this year was to read 3 books. One of those titles that had been suggested to me by a friend was Loving the Little Years : Motherhood in the Trenches. I purchased the Kindle version and had it read as fast as any book I've ever read.

Actually, in doing a little search, I saw she just came out with a new book called Fit to Burst that is going on my "to read" list.

I liked the book because I could so easily identify with her anecdotes and found her "advice" to be more of an encouragement than someone telling me how to be a "mom." I laughed out loud and read things to Jim and also did some highlighting for things I wanted to remember. The book affirmed my "no judging" rule I have when it comes to mothering- everyone's battle is different, yet the same because we're all fighting a sinful heart that just manifests itself in different ways.

Here are a few of my favorite highlights:

"If your son in his high chair is struggling with anger about his vegetables, you should be seeing a high school boy acting out after a lost basketball game. Give him the tools now that he will need then." 

"Christian childrearing is a pastoral pursuit, not an organizational challenge."

"Scars and stretch marks and muffin tops are all part of your kingdom work."

So, if you want a quick read that might be a re-read, that will make you laugh and give you some good things to remember, I suggest this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment