Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pack It Up & Move It Out

I last left you on Day 1 of packing and it was quite the week.

So as not to bore you with dinky details, I'll just tell ya about the important parts. After all, this is one of those posts that's more for me and my memory than for you.

  • I had grand plans of packing up carefully, going through and purging things as I went because we were losing 300 square feet of space. I also wasn't going to stress out about it and would work that way as long as I could, and then resort to throwing things where they fit.
  • I had a hard time figuring out what to pack because movers weren't coming for a full week. I didn't want to crowd the apartment with boxes making moving furniture in difficult.
  • I worked evenings and late nights packing up the boxes we had, taking them to the apartment, unpacking what I could, bringing the boxes back to the house, and repacking. I moved the kitchen first as it could be put away at the new apartment.
  • If you put the seats down in the cube, you can fit lots of stuff in there.
  • Thursday came and I was completely overwhelmed. Jim had been unable to help with packing and fully handling Jacob (more on that tomorrow). I wanted to just sit and cry multiple times, but there was no time for that.
  • The movers that were a gift to us from my Father in Law were AWESOME. They came in, took anything apart that needed to be, saran wrapped and blanketed everything, moved it out, and took it to the apartment. They unloaded it, put it where I wanted it, and put beds and such back together. They came at 9 that morning and were completely done before lunch.
  • The rest of the day I was just taking things over by the Cube. We ended up using my Father in Law's truck to move as I was running out of time.
  • At 3:45, we went to sign over the keys. We asked, and were given, an extra couple of hours because I still had an entire garage and driveway of things to move. I am not exaggerating. 5 truck loads to go and the house wasn't even technically mine anymore. 
  • We pulled away with the last load at 6 pm. There was no time to be "bye first house" and emotional. 
  • We left a lot of things there that we had intended to take and sell (microwave, grill, a couple of pieces of furniture).
Getting to the apartment Thursday was the biggest relief that we had made it and also the biggest stress because I had so much to unpack and finish going through to decide what was making the cut. In our time crunch, we literally crammed things in available garages (my Mom and in-laws are awesome).
At this point, I still need to go clean out our storage unit, get the things from my Mom's and in-law's garages, and take everything to storage or Goodwill, accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment